Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Salvation Army and Vintage Finds!

I wanted to start off by proclaiming that I’m the type of person who builds a whole nation of castles in the sky, but never lays the foundation for the aforementioned. Nation after nation float away like clouds and I never seem to move forward with them or because of them. 


Now since I was say about 15 I thought about vintage clothes, looked at vintage clothes online, tried desperately to find these elusive treasure chests of vintage clothes near me. However, I was never able to make it happen, never allowed to use my mom’s credit card online, and too scared to drive into Miami alone. 
A couple years ago at one of my mom’s and our neighbor’s annual garage sales our neighbor told me she had found some good stuff at one of the local Salvation Army’s. Now because I didn't expect to find actual vintage clothes there, but just second hand stuff, I blew off the idea for a while. Until recently when my mom had the idea to go there to find 70s inspired shoes on the cheap.
Granted, my previous assumptions were correct when I said I probably wouldn't find actual vintage clothes from the eras I wanted, but I did happen to find some pretty cool treasures that no department store would have and no online store would have all for under $60:

Red velvet flats $5 @ The Salvation Army

Lace-up boots (not leather) $10 @ The Salvation Army

Bebe floral print jeans $7 @ The Salvation Army

Joe Boxer multi color cords $9 @ The Salvation Army

Velvet silver booty shorts $4 @ The Salvation Army

Furry pink sweater $3 @ The Salvation Army

One shoulder purple paisley shirt $4 @ The Salvation Army

Indian patterned halter top $2 @ The Salvation Army

P.S. The best part about shopping at The Salvation Army is you're not only getting unique on the cheap, but your giving back and that's the best silver lining of all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About a year ago I also found some great vintage pieces in my Grandma's basement in MD. Along with the actual wooden chest I was also given the things inside:

Orange and black high waisted skirt

Off the shoulder red and white shirt

Bandana printed quarter sleeve shirt

Reversible vest 

Side 2
Plus much much more, but unfortunately the rest doesn't fit me so it's all locked away until I either get them altered or grow...
jfate

2 comments:

  1. What great finds! I love those floral jeans. I'm a big fan of thrift shopping, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice finds! I love the shoes and the long skirt.

    Blue Roses

    ReplyDelete